Monday, March 14, 2011

Fiction: At the third stroke

(As there has been discussion of 'Daylight Saving Time' on other blogs lately, I thought I would offer this little twiddle.  Pedants might like to notice that it actually refers to the last equinox, of course, not this one.  Spring forward, fall back and all that.)


Mistress Valerie strode out of Her dungeon carrying a cane, and knocked gently on the door of the next room.  “Are You going to be ready to go soon?”
Her friend Sandra stuck a puzzled-looking head around the door.  “We’re not going to leave for an hour yet, surely?  It doesn’t start until eight.”
“But it’s nearly seven already” Mistress Valerie said.
“No it isn’t” Sandra replied.  “It’s not even six o’clock yet.”  She thought for a moment.  “You do know the clocks went back last night, don’t you?”
“I…” Mistress Valerie began, then stopped. “Oh.  No, I forgot.”  She said.  “So We’ve got plenty of time.”
“That’s right” Sandra replied cheerfully, closing the door again.
“And servitor wasn’t an hour late…” Mistress Valerie mused to Herself , looking down at the cane in Her hand.  She swished it back and forth a few times, thoughtfully.
“Oh well”, She said, to no one in particular.  “I don’t suppose it did him any long term harm.  I’ve started so I might as well finish.”
And, cane at the ready, She strode back into the dungeon.

No comments:

Post a Comment